This episode of This American Life, especially act one, is worth a listen. Some great images, characters, reflection, and progression through time. A wrenching story without being melodramatic. Click here to listen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Delia,
ReplyDeleteI listened to this podcast tonight and was blown away by the dramatic--NOT melodramtic--imagery and storytelling. I'm trying to figure out how the storytellers accomplished this. I think it's through the matter of fact tone used by the mother and daughters in the first act and the boy in the second act. The details are so strong that the voices don't have to be over dramatic...these speakers aren't acting out the events, they are telling them in an honest way that really evokes emotion and empathy from the listener. The music really aids in establishing the atmosphere. Something to consider for my own podcast!
Emily- I fully agree with your assessment. It's the stark honesty and emotion in the voice that got to me. And yes, music is also important in setting tone. We'll be talking about that this week.
ReplyDelete