Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Purpose of Your Blog

In class on Thursday, someone said something to the effect that "in real life" no one would read their new media blog (NMB). This statement implies that the blogs you're creating for class have less validity than a "real" blog--one that is generated out of your passion and interest in a topic (the latest developments in molecular physics, the video game Doom, Michelle Obama's wardrobe choices etc.). I think it's less a question of validity and more about purpose. While the content of your NWB is somewhat shaped by what I ask you to do for each post, the overall purpose of these blogs does not differ dramatically from "real" blogs: to create an online conversation about a topic with a community of interested individuals.

But the other underlying purpose of your NMB does make it a sort of strange endeavor, I admit. It is a display of learning that will be assessed. And this fact alters the act of writing--whether you're writing an essay, short story, or journal entry. It affects voice, choice of content, and your sense of your audience. But with regard to audience, at least you have the benefit of a built in readership, something a blog about the joys of kayaking might not have, at least immediately.

The question I'm left with is: would it be more effective for your learning process about blogs to have complete freedom over your blog posts rather having the blog serve as a kind of reading journal? Your comments are welcome.

I understand the weirdness of blogging as it's connected to this class. I do. This blog has a very specific purpose and readership. I'm sharing information and ideas with 19 students to extend the conversation that goes on in class. So, yes, my purpose and readership is a bit more narrow than Bug Girl's, but given the general reaction to her blog, I'm guessing you're all okay with that.

5 comments:

  1. I think the system we are using now is fine.
    We have our semi-weekly blog posts on the readings in place of tests and quizzes and besides those we have total freedom to post whatever else we want.
    That's what I've done and I think it's appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stephen. I think it's good to have some overall theme for the blogs. Reading and blogging about common texts helps the conversation flow both on our blogs and in class. And we already have the freedom to post more than the required amount...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarifying that we have a lot of leeway to discuss what we wanting our blog posts in last week's class changed my mind on this after much consideration. At first I thought I'd prefer more freedom. There is still an intrinsic problem with blog posting for the class as we've all noticed now. But, in the context of the class I think we need the basic structure that's outline right now.
    On an older subject (and somewhat unrelated to the post, sorry!) of visuality, I've been trying to do things with my blog visually and have been either failing in my attempts or not knowing where to start. I considered sending an email to get tech help, but this seems like something other people might want information on. Is there any way we could go over some of the more technical aspects of how to add visual elements to our blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Taylor I can give you any tips on how to customize your blog.
    It's easy for someone who can read and understand HTML and XML like me.
    Maybe I can have a few minutes in class to answer questions and perhaps give a tutorial on how to customize everyone's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anything, I think it would be nice to be able to write/post about anything concerning new media. There's a lot being discussed out there and we could learn a lot from each other's sources and comments. I don't want to turn this into a burdensome process for Delia but I think it might be interesting for our posts to be more exploratory (within the topic), while still getting comments from our "comments group." I think things are pretty amenable now, it's just that the readings make me feel as if I need to write an in-depth research analysis – contrary to the style and the format of the blog.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete